[MBDyn-users] aerodynamic drag question

MBDyn users list mbdyn-users at mbdyn.org
Fri Feb 11 10:12:19 CET 2022

Quick and dirty: the damping force is actually

     D = -0.5*C_D*A*v*|v|

where "v" is a vector, as much as D is, and the force is opposite to the
absolute velocity of the point. So you can use a regular force, and
compute its magnitude and direction as

        force: 0, absolute,
                 0,
                 position, reference, node, null,
                 component,
                         string,
"-model::xvelocity(NODE)*model::velocity(NODE)*0.5*A*C_D",
                         string,
"-model::yvelocity(NODE)*model::velocity(NODE)*0.5*A*C_D",
                         string,
"-model::zvelocity(NODE)*model::velocity(NODE)*0.5*A*C_D";

where function "velocity" returns the norm of the absolute velocity of
node "NODE", and "xvelocity", "yvelocity", and "zvelocity" return the
related components.

See the attached example.

Sincerely, p.