[MBDyn-users] Nonlinear dynamics of point mass on elastic catenary

Louis Gagnon louis.gagnon at polimi.it
Mon Mar 19 10:21:09 CET 2018

Dear Panos,

Welcome to the MBDyn mailing list.

First of all, MBDyn is not finite element software as in the more
general sense of calculating the stresses and strains in tridimensional
bodies. MBDyn is a multibody dynamics software.

It does however have a beam element which uses the finite volume
approach to compute deformations, stresses, and natural frequencies.

If by catenary, you are looking to do something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzoHrf-RoUE and have a sliding element
attached to it, it is feasible in MBDyn.

As for friction, there are friction functions in MBDyn, but they are not
implemented in every element yet and thus the amount of work involved
depends on what exactly you are looking to achieve.

Finally, as for SfePy, I do not know this software so I can't evaluate
it comparatively. I seem to understand it is a finite element package...

Kind regards,

-Louis