[MBDyn-users] Custom constitutive law implementation

Antonio Sidoti antosidoti at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 12:02:05 CET 2016

Hello MBDyn community,

I would like to implement a monodimensional nonlinear constitutive law
whose behaviour for positive strain rates is different from the one for
negative strain rates.

I looked at the manual and, to my understanding, the closest match to
something generic is "nlsf viscoelastic" or "nlp viscoelastic" constitutive
law but the argument of each scalar function is either the strain or the
strain rate. I could not find a way of reproducing this behaviour with
these formulations.

Is there a way of implementing such constitutive law? I thought of
something where you could give two scalar functions for the two "regimes",
but I think this could cause some problem related to sudden "jumps" from
one branch to the other for an arbitrary loading history ( in my case the
problem).
I hope I explained myself well. Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Antonio