[MBDyn-users] Using Modal Joint Element output to predict component stress

Pierangelo Masarati pierangelo.masarati at polimi.it
Thu Sep 24 22:48:46 CEST 2015

On 23/09/2015 20:40, Tim at Gowing Engineering wrote:
> I'm using MBDyn to give an insight into the dynamic activity of a crank-slider mechanism and to also predict interface and body forces.  A Code_aster CMS file is used to represent the component of particular interest.
> Does anyone have a known procedure for combining the MBDyn modal output with the finite element stress states at any selected point in the time history?
> If there isn't a known workflow then I will attempt to create a procedure from scratch and post if successful.
> Any assistance much appreciated.
Hello.

No such procedure comes with the software, so far.  One needs to extract
modal output information from the .mod output file (see the Modal Joint
output documentation for details), and use it to reconstruct internal
stresses (according to the direct recovery approach, which might not be
the most accurate one; the so-called modes acceleration approach would
be preferable).

Please feel free to produce an appropriate procedure and share it with
other users, if you wish.

Sincerely, p.
> Tim

Associate Professor