[MBDyn-users] public MBDyn semitrailer model for road profile interaction

Louis Gagnon louis.gagnon at polimi.it
Tue Mar 24 14:18:59 CET 2015

Dear fellow users,

I'm publicly releasing the semitrailer model I have developed within
MBDyn for my PhD project. It allows one to run a semitrailer model on a
specific longitudinal road profile and uses a rigid ring model for the
tires.

You may find the project's biography on my website: louisgagnon.com

Otherwise, I've copied below the instructions to run the model. Keep in
mind that the data as been slightly modified to preserve the
confidential data of my former industrial partners (Michelin, Manac, and
Freightliner).

The model is available on the MBDyn examples page under the name
"semitrailer":
http://www.mbdyn.org/?Documentation___Official_Documentation___Examples

I'll be happy to answer questions from who wants to run the model.

Enjoy,

-Louis

I hope the following steps help you demystify the model, which is a lot
of fun once you get things going !

*a)
*MBDyn needs to be built with some extra libraries. Under Ubuntu, you
will have to install a few packages such as the suitesparse, ginac, and
netcdf development files, and the MBDyn configure command will be
similar or equal to

/./configure --enable-runtime-loading
--prefix=/home/louis/bin/mbdyn-1.6.0 --with-module=wheel4
LDFLAGS=-rdynamic CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/suitesparse --no-recursion
--enable-multithread/
*

b)*
If you are running MBDyn 1.6.0, you will need to apply the patches given
on the download page to avoid some bugs. Copy patch files into the
mbdyn-1.6.0 directory and run

/patch <mbdyn-1.6.0-patchname.patch/

then copy the filename given beside +++ and give it as file to patch
upon prompt. Then rerun

/make; make install/

*c)*
I'm giving you a script, run.sh, that can be run on a series of profiles
and generates a folder for each run (don't do more than one per minute)
and then calls the ellipsoidal "Schmeitz" pre-filtering of the road
profile in "parallel" before calling the semitrailer model to run a
specified distance in a straight line (pathDrive.txt) at a specified
velocity (speedDriveT.txt) on that same profile. Once the run directory
and road profile is created you may rerun MBDyn on it files directly
inside the directory if you need to debug things. The script command to
run directly in the semitrailerPub is,

/for i in  "someRoad" ; do ./run.sh -f $i.ERD -d 1000 -l 105 -s 100 -e
1215; done/

you will need to set your /prefix directory/ in the run.sh script file

*d)*
I've tested these exact files on my Ubuntu 14.04 distribution with the
patched MBDyn-1.6.0, so it should work as is. Keep in mind that the
tire, truck, and road data do not correspond to any specific real data.

Louis Gagnon, Ph.D.