[MBDyn-users] Coupling of MBDyn with an external code using a variable timestep (recomputed at each temporal iteration)

Yoann Robert yoann.robert at ec-nantes.fr
Fri Jan 23 12:46:05 CET 2015

Dear developers and users of MBDyn,

A colleague of mine has already coded a tool coupling MBDyn and the CFD
code of our team. His simulations were launched with a constant
timestep. In my case, the physics of the problem forces me to use a
variable timestep, depending on the Courant number, and which is
recomputed at each temporal iteration in the CFD code. So my CFD code
must impose the timestep value to MBDyn.
 From this, several questions comes to mind.

1) In the current version of MBDyn, is this possible to do such a coupling?
2) If this is not possible, is it planned in the next versions? How soon?
3) If it is not the case, are the modifications of the source code of
MBDyn quite easy to do by myself? And could you tell me in which files
or functions this modifications would take place?

EXTRA QUESTION:

This question is about something less important but it would allow me to
lighten my input files, especially the drives in my joint elements.
I browsed the documentation and I learned we can define some "plugin
variables" from the nodes or from the elements, using directly the data
accessible through the node/element in question, such as

set: integer NODENAME = 1000;
# the node must exist
set: [node,VARNAME,NODENAME,abstract,string="xP"];

or

set: integer ELEMNAME = 1000;
# the joint must exist
set: [element,VARNAME,ELEMNAME,joint,string="Fz"];

Unfortunately, it does not seem to me that the definition of more
complex time-dependent variables is allowed. For instance, supposing
that the three following constants are defined, such a definition is not
possible (or a least not in this way):

set: integer NODENAME = 1000;
# the node must exist
set:
[node,VARNAME,NODENAME,abstract,string="xP*const_length*const_time*const_mass"];

It does not seem more likely that a definition of a time-dependent
variable also depending on data from multiple nodes and/or elements is a
possibility.

Did I miss something or is it the case in the current state of the code
? I know I may be too greedy... :-)

Thanks and Regards,

Yoann Robert