[MBDyn-users] Problems importing mdbyn model to blender

Rix, Patrick Patrick.Rix at repower.de
Thu May 30 10:48:35 CEST 2013

Hi Leonardo,

  *   Which version of Blender are you using ?
  *   I assume you can see the buttons in the Blender's GUI being displayed after loading/executing the MBDyn scripts ?

The MBDyn plugin scripts only run with old Blender versions, as far as I know.
I'm using Blender 2.49b (together with Python 2.6.2). This was the version being used for the development of the MBDyn - scripts and after which.major changes in Blender's API-Functions happened (2.5.x).
Two years ago I tried to update the scripts but without success, so it would be interesting to know if perhaps in the meantime someone else of the MBDyn / Blender community succeeded in updating the scripts to newer Blender versions 2.5.x or 2.6.x

  *   How are you trying to import the MBDyn data - in text format using the *.mov file ? and from a "hand-made" model which was written and simulated separately (and not from within Blender) ?
  *   Is the corresponding *.log file near the *.mov file, as it will be required too ?
  *   Which MBDyn version are you using ?

I just tried to import MBDyn *.mov data of some older simulation done with MBDyn-1.3.18 and another with MBDyn-1.4.3 into my Blender-2.49b and it still worked. I just used the import button and specified the path of the simulation and the *.mov filename and confirmed several windows by clicking ok. After the reading of the *.mov and *.log (and evtl. the *.out) file what might take some time, the scripts automatically displayed the model showing the rigid bodies as cubes.

I hope there was something in it, that might have helped you.

Best regards,
Patrick Rix.