[MBDyn-users] When SimulationEntity::Update is called/should be called

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Wed Jul 4 18:40:36 CEST 2012

On 07/04/2012 03:24 PM, Resch Reinhard wrote:
> Dear Mr. Masarati,
>
> I would like to know the exact specification of the following member
> function:
>
> void SimulationEntity::Update(const VectorHandler& XCurr, const
> VectorHandler& XPrimeCurr);
>
> Can I be sure that this member function is called automatically
> before AssRes and AssJac are called, or should I call it directly
> from within AssRes and AssJac in order to compute internal variables
> or update internal states?
>
> Some elements compute internal variables inside AssRes and reuse it
> in AssJac and possible in dGetPrivData and Output. Can I be sure that
> AssRes is always called before AssJac, dGetPrivData and Output?
>
> Otherwise internal variables have to be computed three times:
>
> 1.  Update
> 2.  AssRes
> 3.  AssJac

Update() was originally intended to be called only after each iteration
during the solution for a time step.  So yes, it is always called before
AssRes() (and implicitly before AssJac(), which always occurs after
AssRes(), when needed; it is not called, for example, when convergence
is achieved after AssRes(), or when using modified Newton-Raphson, such
than a Jacobian matrix factorization is reused for multiple iterations).

It is guaranteed that the state and its derivative (XCurr and
XPrimeCurr) are updated as soon as a new increment is obtained from each
linear solution.  However, many elements with internal states (typically
joint elements) do not provide an Update() method; they rather count on
the fact that AssRes() is always called for each iteration, and AssJac()
is always preceded by a call to AssRes(), to update their internal
states directly from XCurr/XPrimeCurr received within AssRes().

Private data are a separate issue.  First of all, they were introduced
way after the design of the basic interface.  Furthermore, in many cases
they are not intended to use updated information until convergence.
However, in many cases they need to provide the best estimate of
aggregate information based on internal states and so.  For this reason,
for example, many joints perform expensive and duplicate calculations to
update relative orientation or angular velocity info.  This design is
justified by the fact that private data are seldom used, and thus they
are only computed when needed.

Hope this helps.

Associate Professor
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale