[MBDyn-users] RE: MBDyn-users Digest, Vol 46, Issue 7

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Mon Feb 23 09:29:29 CET 2009

Tomislav Maric wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I've forgot to remove .blender directory in my home dir. after
> uninstalling system installed blender. After I did that, everything
> seems to be working fine, except there's some weird graphic behavior
> that was there to begin with: my  gnome panel goes black, as well as the
> button for clearing the desktop. Still, simulations and animations work,
> so I'll  be running blender full-screen until I figure it out.
>
> I have a question regarding inertial/geometric properties of meshes:
>
>>From what I've found out so far, CAD is mostly imported in blender (.stl
> is commonly used). I was wondering is it possible to calculate inertial
> properties, center of mass, etc. within blender on geometry built in
> blender. Would that be efficient? For now, I wrote a small python script
> that generates airfoil geometry within Salome CAD, I calculate
> everything there, and I'll try to import the geom. in Blender for
> preprocessing and animation. Is this the best way to work?
>
> Again, I apologize if my question is misplaced, but these things seem to
> mater most to people working with MbDyn...

Well, I'm not banning this type of questions from MBDyn's forum, since
they originated from its use, but I believe they are more appropriate
for a Blender forum, as there's nothing (at this stage) that is specific
to MBDyn, and probably only a few MBDyn users can answer them.

At some point, if there happens to be some script that allows to
generate inertia information from a graphical Blender model, it would be
nice to be able to automatically convert that info into the data of
MBDyn's rigid body, but I believe right now this is just another entry
in the wish list.