[MBDyn-users] Mac OS X linking problem MBDyn 1.3.6

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Sat Feb 7 14:04:31 CET 2009

Torsten Sadowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get a bunch of linking errors complainig about missing symbols which I would
> expect to be present. I did not have this with 1.3.4. Right now I'm clueless.

Hi.

The reason is probably related to the changes we needed to introduce in
the build process in order to be able to build on Leopard (Mac OS
10.5.*, AFAIK).

I admit I'm totally ignorant about Mac OS X and, since I had to build on
that architecture and the regular build process was failing (the reason
is well known and it's related to some bad practice in MBDyn, but it
cannot be easily solved).

What happens is that in some internal libraries MBDyn is made of, there
are cross-dependencies (lib1 depends on lib2, which depends on lib1).
On Linux (and other UN*Xes) we found that this could be solved by
linking them twice. However, building on Leopard didn't work, and we
discovered that linking them once only cured the problem.  So right now
configure detects whether it's building on Mac by checking whether $host
contains *-apple-* (line 3575).

This should match also in your case, since your host presents itself as
"powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0".  I suggest you try to comment out this
test and see if the normal build works for you.  In case, I'll further
modify the test to narrow down those cases where the different linking
is required.

Please let me know if this works for you.  Your help in cleanly
supporting more platforms is more than just welcome.