[MBDyn-users] Installation of mbdyn 1.3.0-Alpha

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Wed Aug 29 20:04:11 CEST 2007

Rudi Jaeger wrote:
> Dear Dr Masarati,
>
>> I just posted to mbdyn-devel a pointer to the freshly, but unofficially,
>> released 1.3.0-Alpha, which contains all of those features:
>
>> http://www.sys-net.it/pipermail/mbdyn-devel/2007-August/000112.html
>> It's sort of immature, I'd basically like to have some feedback about
>> any build issues, as I could only compile it on few combinations of
>> architectures and Linux distributions.  But feel free to give it a try.
>

> I succeeded in installing mbdyn 1.3.0-Alpha. The results look
> the same - compared with 1.2.7 - for the (few) paradigms I tried.
>
> OS: Ubuntu 6.06
> Compiler: g++-3.4
> Autoconf: 2.59
>
> I got an error at line 39 of include/ac/f2c.h that looked like the one
> described here:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-3.4/+bug/61623
>
> After replacing #if defined(USE_G2C_H) with #if 0, everything compiled
> smoothly.
>
> HAVE_G2C_H as well as USE_G2C_H are set to 1 in mbconfig.h.

You could use --with-g2c=no until I design a test that automatically
decides whether g2c.h is usable or not (or I get rid of the need of
g2c.h at all :)

> I saw the following warnings (there might have been more):
>

> 1.****************************************************************************
>
> valve.cc:1381:2: Warnung: #warning "????????????? Res_6 = -Res_6 ?"

                   ^^^ the German locale? :)

That's intended: this piece of code is broken and it's a reminder for
developers/volunteers to either fix or trim it.

> [...]
> femgen.f: In Programm `femgen':
> femgen.f:102: Warnung:
>          call IREAD(in2f,sysout,ib,maxnod,0,nword,irtn)
>               1
> femgen.f:152: (Fortsetzung:)
>          call IREAD(in2f,sysout,b,4*maxnod,0,nword,irtn)
>               2
> Argument #3 von »iread« ist one type bei (2), aber some other type bei (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]
> femgen.f:102: Warnung:
>          call IREAD(in2f,sysout,ib,maxnod,0,nword,irtn)
>               1
> femgen.f:178: (Fortsetzung:)
>             call IREAD(in2f,sysout,b,maxnod,0,nword,irtn)
>                  2
> Argument #3 von »iread« ist one type bei (2), aber some other type bei (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]
> femgen.f:89: Warnung:
>          call GETIDS(m,ncol,nrow,name,maxmod,maxmod,m,1,in4f,err)
>               1
> femgen.f:201: (Fortsetzung:)
>          call GETIDS(b,ncol,nrow,name,6*maxnod,1,db,1,in4f,err)
>               2
> Argument #1 von »getids« ist one precision bei (2), aber some other precision bei (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]
> femgen.f: In Unterprogramm `getids':
> femgen.f:89: Warnung:
>          call GETIDS(m,ncol,nrow,name,maxmod,maxmod,m,1,in4f,err)
>               1
> femgen.f:219: (Fortsetzung:)
>          SUBROUTINE GETIDS(B,NCOL,NROW,CNAME,NRB,NCB,DB,IDL,IU,ERR)
>                     2
> Argument #1 (named `b') von »getids« ist one precision bei (2), aber some other precision bei (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]
> femgen.f: In Unterprogramm `tabrd':
> femgen.f:102: Warnung:
>          call IREAD(in2f,sysout,ib,maxnod,0,nword,irtn)
>               1
> femgen.f:467: (Fortsetzung:)
>     30   CALL IREAD(IUN,IOUT,BLOCK,1000,0,IWR,IRTN)
>               2
> Argument #3 von »iread« ist one type bei (2), aber some other type bei (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]
> femgen.f:102: Warnung:
>          call IREAD(in2f,sysout,ib,maxnod,0,nword,irtn)
>               1
> femgen.f:493: (Fortsetzung:)
>     32      CALL IREAD(IUN,IOUT,BLOCK,20000,IFLAG,IWR,IRTN)
>                  2
> Argument #3 von »iread« ist one type bei (2), aber some other type bei (1) [info -f g77 M GLOBALS]
> femgen.f:493: Warnung:
>     32      CALL IREAD(IUN,IOUT,BLOCK,20000,IFLAG,IWR,IRTN)
>     1
> femgen.f:604: (Fortsetzung:)
>          IF (IRTN .EQ. 0) GO TO 32
>                                 2
> Referenz auf Marke bei (2) ist außerhalb des Blockes, der die Definition bei (1) enthält
> femgen.f: In Unterprogramm `iheadr':
> femgen.f:99: Warnung:
>          call IHEADR(in2f,sysout,nam,t)
>               1
> femgen.f:659: (Fortsetzung:)
>          SUBROUTINE IHEADR(IUN,IOUT,NAM,T)
>                     2
>
> I think the first one is old but I am not so sure about the femgen-warnings.

Me neither, since they're in German :).  Basically, that code has always
been like that, and no one wants to go back and understand how NASTRAN's
op2 files are formatted.  All in all, there's little benefit for a free
software project in struggling too much to preserve compatibility with
non-free software.  Unless you plan to use the modal joint with
component mode synthesis data from NASTRAN, you don't need to care about
those warnings.