[MBDyn-users] Moving pendulum

Andrea Zanoni a.zanoni.mbdyn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 10:34:16 CET 2017

Hi Andrea,

can I ask you what is the purpose of your simulation? I guess you want
to solve an inverse dynamics problem, since you are trying to prescribe
the motion of the pendulum.
If that's the case, be aware that MBDyn is fully able to solve inverse
dynamics problems, but the documentation about this particular problem
type is still lacking... So feel free to ask here everything you might
need. One thing though is certain: if you want to solve a problem of
this kind, you have to integrate the acceleration yourself to get the
angular velocity and the angular position: the complete kinematics of
the pendulum must be prescribed.

If you just want to impose the angular acceleration of the pendulum and
let MBDyn integrate the path for you, use an "angular acceleration" joint.

Also, I'd like to point out that

- revolute hinge joints support friction (see section  8.12.38 of the
input manual);
- a nonlinear damping couple can be applied using the deformable axial
joint (8.12.11), to which a nonlinear viscous constitutive law can be
attached (section 2.9).

For very "strange" constitutive laws, you can compile MBDyn with GiNaC
support (www.ginac.de) and define your own symbolic constitutive law.
Again if you want support into how to do that, just ask here.

Cheers
Andrea