[MBDyn-users] Trouble with Membrane elements [MBDyn 1.5.5]

Pierangelo Masarati pierangelo.masarati at polimi.it
Mon Aug 11 14:13:59 CEST 2014

Hello.

You are connecting "total pin joint" 0 & 1 to nodes that are incompatible, since they lack the orientation degrees of freedom.  The nodes that need to be grounded must be regular structural nodes, although the membrane element will only contribute to the corresponding force equilibrium equations.  A variant of the total joint that acts on displacement-only nodes is not available.

You'll likely have a similar problem concerning forces applied to displacement-only nodes; in that case, you need to use "absolute displacement" and omit the "position" bit of the usual syntax.

Associate Professor