[MBDyn-users] compiling --with-umfpack

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Mon Dec 3 16:59:34 CET 2012

On 12/03/2012 04:39 PM, Jens.vanSchelve at Emerson.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have problems compiling mbdyn with umfpack.
> Umfpack is installed on my system (Ubuntu 10.04) using the suitesparse collection from the official Ubuntu repositories. The headers (e.g. umfpack.h) are under /usr/include/suitesparse and if I try to compile and run one of the umfpack examples which you can find in the web everthing works fine, but if I just add --with-umfpack to the configure statement mbdyn compains:
>
> checking umfpack usability... no
> checking umfpack.h presence... no
> checking for umfpack.h presence...
> configure: error: Could not locate Umfpack
>
> Is there a way to tell the mbdyn configure script to search for the umfpack header under under  "/usr/include/suitesparse" ? I also tried to softlink to umfpack.h in /usr/include without success.

Yes.  You need to add CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/suitesparse.  This can be
done by populating the shell environment or simply by adding the
variable declaration to the arguments of configure, e.g.

./configure --with-umfpack CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/suitesparse

Note, this is not MBDyn-specific, it's the way configure generated via
autotools lets users modify the normal behavior.  See for example the
variables listed towards the end of the output of configure --help (the
"Some influential environment variables" section).

Associate Professor
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale