[MBDyn-users] FYI: Aerodynamics + BEM specific to Wind Turbines

Rix, Patrick Patrick.Rix at repower.de
Thu Aug 30 11:29:49 CEST 2012

Dear Pierangelo,

to contribute to our talking below about aerodynamic / aero-elastic calculation methods & Blade Element and Momentum (BEM) theory I wanted to point to some useful literature in which most of the aspects are explained being of special interest for the wind energy e.g. explanation of the general annular BEM method and of features for unsteady BEM like  'dynamic stall'  and  'dynamic wake' (which are popular terms in the field of aero-elastic simulation of wind tubines) being implemented in e.g  BLADED, FLEX5 and FAST(->AeroDyn) and which are widely in use in the wind industry (..no secret to mention that we use these tools at REpower, too).
As I am not sure if these terms are understood in the same way in helicopter theory with identical meaning I wanted to point you to some references in order to give you a better understanding of what exactly I mean when talking about dynamic stall, wake and so on.

As you programmed the AeroDyn interface you surely know all the docs on the NREL page <http://wind.nrel.gov/designcodes/simulators/> so the other ones below might be more interesting for you

'unofficial' FLEX5 - documentation
----------------------------------

[1] Martin Otto Laver Hansen:  "AERODYNAMICS OF WIND TURBINES"
2nd.Edtion 2008, EarthScan London,
ISBN: 978-1-84407-438-9

In Chapter 9 of [1] about 'Unsteady BEM' , Hansen  describes from page 93 on the dynamic stall and dynamic wake as it is/was implemented in FLEX5 by its programmer Stig Oye. (Hansen & Oye work both at the 'DTU Institut for Vindenergi' at 'Denmarks Tekniske Universitet')

'unofficial' BLADED - documentation
-----------------------------------

[2] Tony Burton, David Sharpe, Nick Jenkins, Ervin Bossanyi,
"WIND ENERGY HANDBOOK",
2001 Ed.1, ISBN-13: 978-0471489979,
2011 Ed.2, ISBN-13: 978-0470699751,
John Wiley & Sons LTD

(Bossanyi is one of the programmers of BLADED.)

BLADED 3.5 User & Theory Manual
-------------------------------
<http://ocw.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/ocw/courses/OffshoreWindFarmEnergy/res00099/User_Manual.pdf>

<http://ocw.tudelft.nl/fileadmin/ocw/courses/OffshoreWindFarmEnergy/res00099/Theory_Manual.pdf>