[MBDyn-users] Trouble building MBDyn 1.4.3 on Ubuntu 11.10

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Mon Apr 23 10:53:47 CEST 2012

On 04/23/2012 07:04 AM, Brian Van Stratum wrote:
> Hope you can help, looks like great software. As you can see I am pretty
> unfamiliar with compiling software like this.
>
> had been following directions from this site:
> http://janpenguin.wikispaces.com/MBDyn+installation+in+Debian+Squeeze

I wouldn't take unofficial documentation as authoritative.  That
document seems to address installing what was missing in that guy's
system at the time he tried to configure MBDyn rather than building
MBDyn itself.  For example, he never explicitly mentions the need to
execute "configure" before "make", while there is no need to execute
"make clean" before "configure" ever succeeds (as no valid Makefile has
been ever generated).

> when I go to execute the make command I get the following:
> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

In fact "configure" failed, as clearly indicated below

> Thanks for any help or a new direction you can point me in.
>
> Below is the output of configure:
>

> Configuring MBDyn 1.4.3 ...
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
> checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... /bin/mkdir -p
> checking for gawk... no
> checking for mawk... mawk
> checking configure arguments... checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking dependency style of gcc... gcc3
> checking for g++... no
> checking for c++... no
> checking for gpp... no
> checking for aCC... no
> checking for CC... no
> checking for cxx... no
> checking for cc++... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> checking for FCC... no
> checking for KCC... no
> checking for RCC... no
> checking for xlC_r... no
> checking for xlC... no
> checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... no
> checking whether g++ accepts -g... no
> checking dependency style of g++... none

configure failed because no C++ compiler could be found.  Please install
g++ and repeat the configuration.

Associate Professor
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale