[MBDyn-users] A drive caller for calling GNU-octave functions from MBDyn

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Wed Apr 18 16:05:47 CEST 2012

On 04/17/2012 05:20 PM, Resch Reinhard wrote:
> Dear Mr. Masarati,
>
> I have written a drive caller for calling GNU-octave functions from
> MBDyn and would like to contribute it. At the moment only one
> argument and one return value are supported. All variables from the
> math parser can be accessed as global variables from within octave.
> One example .mbdyn file and one .m file are provided in the .tar
> archive.
>
> In order to enumerate the variables of the math parser a patch is
> required.

Dear Reinhard,

thank you for the contribution.  It looks definitely interesting.  I
have few comments:

1) using set_global_value you set math parser symbols (and values) in
what I believe are global parameters that are seen by all invocations of
octave; what happens if multiple instances of the octave DC are created?

2) however, the symbols are seen with the value they had when the octave
drive caller was parsed; what if they change afterwards?  This occurs by
definition for "Time", for the so-called "plugin" variables (horrible
name, I understand) and may occur to other variables for valid reasons.

Associate Professor
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale