[MBDyn-users] Output time period in *.log

Jens.vanSchelve at Emerson.com Jens.vanSchelve at Emerson.com
Wed Feb 16 16:58:52 CET 2011

Giuseppe: The *.out file stores information of EVERY timestep ignoring if the data is passed to the output (*.mov, *.jnt...) files. So if the simulation itself starts a second x its ok, but not if only the output starts at second x.

I was also considering the NetCDF output already, but our current mbdyn post-processor is based on the standart output files and am not quite sure if I find time to implement a MBDyn-NetCDF parser, however I already looked into some NetCDF c++ examples and at some point in the future I will do this. Having the start and end time of the output in the output files somewhere would just be much quicker to implement for now :) It is still not that critical and was just meant to reduce the amount of output.

Jens

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: mbdyn-users-bounces at mbdyn.org [mailto:mbdyn-users-bounces at mbdyn.org] Im Auftrag von Pierangelo Masarati
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2011 15:23
An: van Schelve, Jens [INDAUTO/SSB/SAL]
Cc: mbdyn-users at mbdyn.org
Betreff: Re: [MBDyn-users] Output time period in *.log

Jens.vanSchelve at Emerson.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why does only the output frequency appear in the *.log file but NOT
> start and end time of the output?

Because that field in the log file was defined well before the output meter became available.

> Or is this information stored somewhere else in the output files and I
> just have overlooked it?

No.

> Would be nice to have this information for post-processing. Ok, one
> could parse the input file, but thats not very elegant.
>
> Example: By using the output meter one can define start time, end time
> and time steps of the mbdyn output. E.g.
> output meter: meter, 10., forever, steps, 2; Which will write only
> output (*.mov, *.jnt...) for every second time step starting from
> time=10.

The output meter in theory allows any type of drive caller, which means that we need to define a syntax that takes this into account.  Perhaps we could log the drive caller's definition.

You could also consider using NetCDF based output (not complete, but in some cases more detailed than regular output).

Cheers, p.