[MBDyn-users] improvement ideas for 1.3.15

Rix, Patrick Patrick.Rix at repower.de
Wed Mar 24 08:49:14 CET 2010

Pierangelo,

..O.K. we'll wait for 1.3.15 probably having the "time step width driven" - option for the output meter.

Two other points for improvement concerning the NetCDF output came into my mind:

1.)
I'd like to propose adding a data type switch to the "output results:" - card allowing the user to choose between DOUBLE and FLOAT, e.g.:

     "output results : netcdf , [double | float ] ;"

Right now double (i.e. 8-byte floating point values) is the only supported data type for NetCDF output, which might be influenced by MBDyn's internal double precision. But for time series output I think a 4-byte float data type would be pretty sufficient in terms of number range and precision for most problems. Using float values instead of doubles would halve the amount of required disk space (which can be significant for larger models and/or long simulations) without a significant loss in precision and I think this would impose only minor and relatively simple code changes.

2.)
The second suggestion is to rename the time track variable "run.time" in just only "time"  and change its data structure from "(time, vec1)" to only "(time)", so having a variable  "time(time)"  instead of  "run.time(time,vec1)"  , defining the same 1D-array structure. This would also hold for other 1D-data series: e.g.  "run.timestep( time )" is exactly the same as "run.timestep(time , vec1)" ,so the "vec1" information is more or less dispensible.
Having a variable  "time(time)"  has advantages for many (3rd party) NetCDF tools (e.g. plotting tools like ncbrowse, andx, intel array viewer, VisIt, ParaView, etc.) as when finding a variable "time(time)" these tools automatically understand the time dependency of the other time series data in the file (most of them are defined as 2D-array-structures containing time series of 3-comp.vectors, e.g. "node.struct.1.X( time, vec3 )" ).
This slight change would have the advantage of easier making XY plots of time series when using the tools mentioned above.
Right now the time track is not detected correctly resulting in plots having the time step index as X-axis instead of the simulation time in seconds.

What do you think of these ideas ? Is it possible and worhty to add them too ?

Best regards,
Patrick.