[MBDyn-users] How to change the aerodynamic output ?

Rix, Patrick Patrick.Rix at repower.de
Mon Mar 22 11:09:57 CET 2010

Hello MBDyn-team,

I'd like to know how to change the aerodynamic output from the default setting "Coefficients at Gauss points" to "Node" giving nodal aerodyn. forces & couples.

The input-manual states in chapter 8.1.1 about the aerodynamic elements:
"...Three different formats are available; the format can be selected only at compile time, so it must be the same for all the elements. Note: eventually the format will freeze; if all the output formats are be maintained, they will be made selectable at run-time, on a per-element basis."

Unfortunately it is not mentioned if it is already run-time selectable AND/OR  how or where to set the switch in the code at compile-time. Browsing the source code in  /mbdyn/aero/  I found in aeroelem.cc and aeroelem.h various definitions of binary constants (like: AEROD_OUT_STD,  AEROD_OUT_PGAUSS,  AEROD_OUT_NODE ) and keyword-checks for the parser.

What is unclear to me:
It looks like MBDyn is already capable of switching the aero-output at run-time but I found no way to make the parser accept my output statements: It always complies about invalid output modes after the line "jacobian, yes" .
The only thing that worked after the jacobian statement was "output, yes" or "output, no".

Reading the code in aeroelement.cc I can see in function ReadAerodynamicBeam(...) that after having read the aerodata and an optional "jacobian,yes" a function ReadOptionalAerodynamicCustomOutput(...) is called which honours the (optional) key combination "custom"+"output" invoking ReadAerodynamicCustomOutput(...) which looks for one of the keywords ["position"|"orientation"|"velocity"|"velocity"|"angular"+"velocity"|"configuration"|"force"|"moment"|"forces"|"all"].
The next line in ReadArodynamicBeam() is
   flag fOut = pDM->fReadOutput(HP, Elem::AERODYNAMIC);
calling function DataManager::fReadOutput(...) reading an optional "output" followed by ["yes"|"no"|"default"].
Then in ReadArodynamicBeam() subsepuently checks for one of the keywords ["std"|"gauss"|"node"] which for my understanding should be the desired switch for changing the aero output.

So resuming the above the definition of an aerobeam element could have the last 3 optional lines as follows:

    [ jacobian , { yes | no | <bool> } , ]
    [ custom output , { position | orientation | velocity | angular velocity | configuration | force | moment | forces | all } ]
    [ output , {yes | no | default }  [ , { std | gauss | node  } ] ]

Is this code  interpretation correct ?

Would this change of aero-output affect both destination files, i.e. the ascii output in *.aer and the binary *.nc file (assumed that MBDyn(>= 1.3.13) was compiled with NetCDF support and "output: netcdf;" was given in the model) ?

Any help on that would be very appreciated.

Kind regards,
Patrick.

..sorry for the long and annoying legal signature - this is automatically appended and cannot be suppressed :-(

Diese E-Mail enth?lt vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich gesch?tzte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrt?mlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte umgehend den Absender und l?schen Sie diese E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe der in dieser E-Mail enthaltenen Daten ist nicht gestattet. Wie Sie wissen, kann die Sicherheit von ?bermittlungen per E-Mail nicht gew?hrleistet werden, E-Mails k?nnen missbr?uchlich unter fremdem Namen erstellt oder ver?ndert werden. Aus diesem Grund bitten wir um Verst?ndnis daf?r, dass wir zu Ihrem und unserem Schutz die rechtliche Verbindlichkeit der vorstehenden Erkl?rungen ausschlie?en m?ssen. Diese Regelung gilt nur dann nicht, wenn wir mit Ihnen eine anderweitige schriftliche Vereinbarung ?ber die Einhaltung von Sicherheits- und Verschl?sselungsstandards getroffen haben.
This e-mail contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. As you know, the security of e-mail transmissions can not be guaranteed. E-mails can be misused to be written or modified under false names. For that reason, we ask you to understand the necessity for us to rule out the legal obligation of the above statement, for your protection and ours. This regulation is only invalid if we have concluded a special written agreement with you about the compliance with security and encryption standards.
REpower Systems AG Sitz: Hamburg Vorstand: Per Hornung Pedersen (Vorsitz), Lars Rytter Kristensen, Derrick Noe, Matthias Schubert
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Tulsi Tanti Registergericht: AG Hamburg (Mitte) HRB Nr.: 75543