[MBDyn-users] Aerodynamic Elements - Modeling a Flapping Wing Microsystem

David Cross (Civ, ARL/VTD) david.m.cross2 at us.army.mil
Wed Jun 30 21:19:33 CEST 2010

MBDyn Users,

I am trying to build a model which matches an experimental setup of a
flapping wing micro-system.  The experimental model uses a polyethylene
film as the wing surface, with only a leading edge spar.

Currently I have a 2D mesh representing the wing surface using type
beam2.  The problem is making the energy of this mesh equivalent to the
continuum of the polyethylene film.  I am wondering if there is a better
way to model a continuous surface, say through aerodynamic beams, which
I have seen used in rotor blade examples.  However, I would not want
these beams to model an airfoil, rather a continuous surface of a
prescribed thickness and material.

Looking at the documentation and some examples of the aerodynamic beams
being used for rotor blades, I am just a little unsure of the direction
to take my model.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for this being somewhat of a modeling question.  My MBDyn
experience is limited at this point, and would benefit greatly from
other users who have more experience than I.

Thank you in advance for your time and guidance,

David Cross (Civ, ARL/VTD)