[MBDyn-users] Finite element coupling

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Fri Feb 5 16:58:13 CET 2010

Romuald NORET wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am wonderdering if it is possible to make a coupling between MBDyn and a
> finite element software, for structural analysis.
> It is possible and if it is this case, do you have an example?

Not sure what you exactly mean, by coupling.  Right now, you have many
options, at different levels.

1) you can import Component Mode Synthesis elements (the "modal" joint)

2) you can have MBDyn talk to an external solver by sending "measures"
(using the stream output element) and reading "controls" (using the
stream driver), provided the other solver talks MBDyn's protocol (which
is pretty simple).  Somebody did it in Python to talk to Code Aster (I
don't have the code, but we can ask, or redo it from scratch; the whole
thing is similar to what Doug Baldwin used animate models in Blender
run-time).  This implements a "loose coupling" scheme, where MBDyn and
the external solver independently solve the respective problems and
communicate each other's results.  In some cases, this may result in
unstable couplings, much like you would have when using explicit
integration schemes.

3) in 1.3.11 there are provisions for "tight" couplings in a scheme
where MBDyn outputs motion to and read loads from an external solver;
the two solvers can iterate in a staggered manner, in order to guarantee
that they converge simultaneously.  This is now working for sure in case
of CMS models; it should also work for node sets, although it's not
thoroughly tested.  Of course, the other codes need to be able to read
and write data according to MBDyn's format.  We provide an open format
for data exchange via ASCII files and library calls for inter-process
communication using UNIX sockets.  Adding built-in supports for
different formats should be straightforward.  We did it to communicate
with FOI's EDGE using EDGE's built-in file format.

Does this help?