[MBDyn-users] Deformable joint

masarati at aero.polimi.it masarati at aero.polimi.it
Fri Oct 30 21:49:31 CET 2009

> See comments below...

Right, the offset is not optional, but the "position" keyword is, for
consistency with other joints.  I've fixed the manual.

> I appreciate your comments regarding aerodynamic forces.  I think that in
> general I would prefer having a viscoelastic element, and use a strain
> constitutive for aerodynamic forces.    The aerodynamic angles can be
> absolute angular displacements projected in the reference frame of the
> node,
> same as the viscous constitutive.  If you agree and offer some guidance, I
> can attempt to code it.

the "elastic" part makes little sense: the angle of attack is defined with
respect to the absolute velocity, projected in a reference frame attached
to the body.  The elastic part would necessarily need to be referred to
the absolute reference frame, which is definitely not physical.

> For my immediate needs, the strain equations have the form Y = k1*roll, X
> =
> k2*pitch, and Z = (k3*roll + k4*pitch), so a collection of force elements
> might be more expedient and possibly would perform better than a general
> viscoelastic solution.  I would appreciate your thoughts on using node
> private data to implement these equations with force elements.

Please define "pitch" and "roll"; extracting that information from the
motion of the node may or may not be trivial.