[MBDyn-users] Theodorsen function --> suitable for VAWT-simulation?

Giuseppe Quaranta quaranta at aero.polimi.it
Thu Oct 22 10:56:12 CEST 2009

>> It would be really interesting if you could comment on that - maybe
>> also a few words about plans/ideas for FSI-Simulations (Fluid
>> Structure Interaction) using MBDyn in co-simulation with some open
>> source CFD code e.g. Code Saturne, OpenFoam, OpenFlower, ... ?

Sure, we are working on FSI Simulation! We have a well assessed connection
with EDGE (a CFD solver developed at FOI) and with other internally
developed solvers (for examples look at
http://www.aero.polimi.it/~isola/FMP.html).
Regarding open source CFD solvers, our experince with OpenFoam has not
been completely satisfactory, expecially for the transonic regime, which
is the most interesting regime for aeroelastic FSI. However, you may find
some additional information about our work on this direction at
http://www.aero.polimi.it/freecase/
OpenFlower is exclusively incompressible, so again not interesting for
aeronautical flows. I don't now anything about Code Saturne.

Regards,

Giuseppe

PS. Of couse we also implemented a co-simulation with a Free-wake solver
(however not open, up to now...)