[MBDyn-users] Composite material

Romuald NORET romuald.noret at cdr.hutchinson.fr
Fri Aug 28 15:41:54 CEST 2009

Hello,

I worked and read those papers and very sorry but I didn't understand how
to build the 6x6 constitutive law matrix.
When a have for instance an orthotropic material like (just an example) :

E1 = 100 000 MPa
E2 =  10 000 MPa
nu1 = nu2 = 0.3
G12 = 5 000 MPA
HEIGHT = 5 mm
WIDHT = 20 mm

I will be very gratefull if you could explain to me how to transform those
parameters into the 6x6 matrix.I enclosed an example file with a isotropic
material.
Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
Romuald Noret

mantegazza at aero.polimi.it
24/08/2009 14:18
Veuillez répondre à
mantegazza at aero.polimi.it

"Pierangelo Masarati" <masarati at aero.polimi.it>
cc
"Romuald NORET" <romuald.noret at cdr.hutchinson.fr>, mbdyn-users at mbdyn.org
Objet
Re: [MBDyn-users] Composite material

> Romuald NORET wrote:
>
>> I seen some examples with composite materials with MBDyn, but I didn't
>> find a constitutive law to represent a orthotropic material for
>> instance.
>> Can I ask if it is really possible and how can I model those type of
>> materials?
>

> The linear (visco)elastic generic requires a full matrix.  For example,
> if you model a beam, you need to provide 6x6 coefficients (it'd better
> be symmetric, probably :).  Other constitutive laws, including the nlp
> and nlsf ones, allow to have an orthotropic linear relationship
> superimposed to a nonlinear diagonal relationship.
>
> As per how to compute the coefficients for a composite beam section,
> that's an entirely separate business.  You're supposed to have the
> coefficients yourself, typically from some experiment or from some
> sophisticated FEM analysis of orthotropic structural components.

If needed look at Pierangelo references, or surf the net for "anba beam
composites", for references comprehensively addressing the above problem
from our point of view, i.e. Dipartimento di Ingegneria Aerospaziale,
Politecnico di Milano.

paolo