[MBDyn-users] Composite material

Pierangelo Masarati masarati at aero.polimi.it
Mon Aug 24 13:57:38 CEST 2009

Romuald NORET wrote:

> I seen some examples with composite materials with MBDyn, but I didn't
> find a constitutive law to represent a orthotropic material for instance.
> Can I ask if it is really possible and how can I model those type of
> materials?

The linear (visco)elastic generic requires a full matrix.  For example,
if you model a beam, you need to provide 6x6 coefficients (it'd better
be symmetric, probably :).  Other constitutive laws, including the nlp
and nlsf ones, allow to have an orthotropic linear relationship
superimposed to a nonlinear diagonal relationship.

As per how to compute the coefficients for a composite beam section,
that's an entirely separate business.  You're supposed to have the
coefficients yourself, typically from some experiment or from some
sophisticated FEM analysis of orthotropic structural components.